Anyway, I'm fine now, but still having to accommodate a scar which is slightly limiting what I can wear. Jeans, my closest wardrobe ally, are out. The most comfortable item of clothing, I have discovered, is a jersey maxi skirt, but since I am not ordinarily much of a skirt wearer I have been resisting the temptation to shop. (OK...I bought one. But only one. It was on sale. Rather gallingly it is now on sale for even less than when I bought it - grr!).
Other than that, I have been in full on shop my closet mode. I have so far found:
1. Two A-line skirts I haven't worn since last summer.
2. A pair of ASOS jeggings I haven't worn since the summer before.
3. A pair of black trousers which I have worn for work but which are too big.
4. Another pair of work trousers (I don't wear work trousers very often - perk of being a PhD student) which are very definitely too big, even for my current loose-fit loving self.
5. Some mango legging jodhpur things, which are in an odd shade of tan/mustard and which are incompatible with all but one pair of pants without producing the worst VPL in the world.
I'm quite glad to have been able to dig all these things out and to push my boundaries in finding ways to wear them. It turns out that I can see the appeal of skirts. I still tend to default to trousers because I find them easier to throw on, but on a sunny day (not that we've had many) skirts are, indeed, pleasant. Still, I will be very glad when I can wear my jeans again, and it does make me think that I need to have a wardrobe cull to store away or sell the things that don't fit.