Tuesday, 4 October 2011

The Doug Wardrobe

I don't know if you've ever seen the children's programme Doug. It used to be on in the UK early on Saturday mornings, and I was one of those children who would be up at the crack of dawn on a weekend, with the TV on, because my parents slept in. (I have no idea where that person went. Trying to rouse me before 10 on a Saturday now is like trying to wake a sleeping lion).


Anyway, one of the in-jokes in Doug was that he only ever wore the same clothes (a green tank top, khaki cut-offs, and a white t-shirt) and whenever he (or one of his buddies) opened their wardrobe, it was filled with myriad identikit versions of these items. This image must have tickled me and others of my generation, because I had a running joke with a friend of mine from school that our English teacher had a 'Doug Wardrobe': many dark navy linen suits and rumpled pale blue shirts, all the same.



At the time we thought it was slightly pitiable (and of course, I was entirely in a position to be doling out stylistic judgment, what with my pink hair and massive grunge jumpers) but in retrospect I am now actively trying to cultivate something similar. Funny how things change. I'm not sure if it's a symptom of getting more boring, or simply knowing what you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment